Assembly instructions for the WJ Rear Stubby Bumper – DIY.
Assembly should only be performed by an experienced fabricator. If you do not have all the necessary tools, experience, or confidence to undertake this project, please seek help before beginning.
Listed from top to bottom as shown in the above picture –
- Bumper body
- Receiver hitch
- Box enclosure – left and right
- Top plate
- Enclosure divider
- Bumper mounts – left and right
- Bumper body corners –
- Ensure weld gaps are still even (in case of rough shipping and handling).See picture below for ideal weld gaps.You may push or pull the metal by hand to achieve the desired alignment.
- When satisfied, tack weld corners and double check fit visually, then finish weld the bumper body corners.
- Receiver hitch –
- Insert receiver hitch into bumper body.Make sure it butts up against the back edge as shown in the picture below.
- Keep hitch square and level, then tack weld inside bumper body to hold placement.
- Enclosure divider –
- Place enclosure divider on top of hitch using the alignment hole on the bumper body.Temporarily place box enclosures to finish alignment of the divider and tack weld the divider in place.
- Remove the enclosures to allow for finish welding of the divider and hitch.Note: Do not weld slot closed at base of hitch; this is used for locating the box enclosures (see picture below).
- Box enclosures –
- Use the three locating holes on the bumper body to re-place box enclosures for final installation. Make sure the enclosures sit flat on the bumper body before proceeding.
- Tack weld box enclosures in place and verify top plate sits properly on alignment tabs.Once satisfied, remove top plate and finish weld box enclosures.
- After welding, clear slag from bumper mount holes as shown in picture below. This ensures the bumper mount can sit flush upon final assembly.
- Top plate –
- Fit top plate onto the locating tabs of the box enclosures and confirm weld gaps are acceptable.Enclosure opening should have even borders as shown in test fit picture above.
- Finish weld perimeter of top plate; disperse heat by alternating weld from side to side.
- Plug weld around enclosures and alignment tabs, as well as the center slot above the enclosure divider.
- Bumper bottom –
- Flip bumper upside down and reference picture below for weld areas.
- Weld back seam of top plate to box enclosures.
- Plug weld bottom locating tabs and hitch to bumper body.
- Flip bumper so hitch points upward and finish weld the hitch around the rear face of the bumper.
- (Optional) Sand and blend weld seams as desired for appearance.
If you also purchased D-Ring tabs, you can bolt them up to your welded stubby bumper using the bumper mount for its attached nuts to secure the separate pieces for welding. After welding each D-Ring tab, disassemble the bumper mounts from the stubby bumper and proceed with bumper installation.
Well done, you’ve completed the assembly of your rear stubby bumper. Paint as desired and proceed to installation instructions shown here: WJ Rear Stubby Bumper – Installation Instructions.
Notes: These instructions are meant to be a general guideline and not a factory certified service procedure. We are not responsible for any failures or issues that may arise in others’ installs. This product is intended for offroad use only, vehicle owner assumes all responsibility by purchasing and/or assembling and installing this product.